Tuesday, November 2, 2010

And the world comes crumbling down


 Courtney says...

No, this has nothing to do with the fact that all of a sudden I have reneged my Blake Lively hatred and now argue that she is in fact a misunderstood, un-natural blonde wunderkind of the Fashion World, even if she did redeem herself slightly on Gossip Girl last night by NOT sleeping with her Economics Professor even though she desperately wanted to. She instead pashed him and waved a moisturized hand goodbye as she exited his apartment in a storm of sexual tension and digital printed chiffon (what is GG's wardrobe department doing to her?!).

No, this also has nothing to do with the fact that Chuck and Blair are back to their love-hate-make-up-sex best with some pretty Rated scenes on top of a grand piano after her 20th Birthday Party, during which Rachel Zoe fell on the ground and had melted chocolate poured all over her stick figure body (hilarious).

No. This has to do with something else that happened on Gossip Girl last night that so profoundly affected my inner core that I had to text you in the middle of the night to exclaim my dismay rather than waiting until this blog post occurred this morning. 

Yes, it has to do with this: Jonathan Franzen was mentioned on Gossip Girl last night. The scene was this: 
Blair Waldorf's 20th Birthday Party.
The Who's Who of the Upper East Side in attendance (the aforementioned Rachel Zoe and Tim Gunn included).
Blair is discussing (read: lecturing) with Serena the pro's and con's of sleeping with her Economics Professor while simultaneously trying to distract Serena from the sexual attractiveness that is apparently unconsciously drawing the two of them together, AT ALL TIMES.
Blair becomes dismissive of Serena's stupidity when Serena notes she can withstand said attractiveness.
Blair, and I quote, says "If I wanted to talk about fiction, I would just go find Jonathan Franzen. Actually..."
Proceeds to walk away. IT IS INSINUATED THAT JONATHAN FRANZEN IS AT BLAIR WALDORF'S PARTY.

I don't know what to do with this information. Part of me is unashamedly proud of Jonathan Franzen (who of course I feel I have a relatively tight bond with after our cocktail evening a few weeks ago).
After all, he did sit in a windowless room with headphones on, typing away on a computer with nothing except a word processing program for nine years to write Freedom. Before that he took three years to develop his main protagonist and before that he went through exactly the same thing for The Corrections, and, as I understand it, a rather messy divorce (do you know anything about this?)
But part of me sees this as a *notes under breath*publicity stunt*. For the same reason Tim Gunn is popping up everywhere on the show from helping Jenny with her fashion project to attending the same party (I wonder if Gunn and Franzen would get along?) because ratings for Project Runway are dropping, I wonder whether Franzen's Freedom is down in sales and whether this is an attempt to reconnect with upwardly mobile tweens and young adults who love ridiculous television programs about vapid New York retards everywhere? (Side note: is this the correct audience for Franzen to be tapping?)
And if this was a publicity stunt, does that meant that all of the entertaining events surrounding Freedom have been a publicity stunt? Did Franzen hire somebody to steal his glasses from his face during a book reading in London recently (Kat, I swear it wasn't me)? Did Franzen 'accidentally' send the wrong edit to the UK publishers so that he would be forced to pulp it, drawing attention to it.
IF THIS IS TRUE MY WORLD JUST STOPPED TURNING.

So where to from here? We could go back to Susan Orlean. She does write a brilliant column. But I think I want something juicier, something more meaningful. After all, I have Gossip Girl for all that other stuff. And, apparently, so does Franzen. CONUNDRUM.

Please help me.




No comments:

Post a Comment