Thursday, October 7, 2010

Blame the parents

Uh-oh. Deranged children? Too much time spent watching catwalk shows at fashion week. I don’t find the mania quite as magnetic, especially considering I’ve never actually managed to watch The Shining with both eyes open. I’m equally not a fan of murderous teenagers. I don’t want to know what anyone did last summer, and I don’t have a favourite scary movie.

But having said all this, I recently watched Dogtooth. A great Greek film centred on the notion of children, driven into states of derangement by their parents. Highly recommended. It is stunningly shot, disturbingly controlled and would give Freud a heart attack, or at the very least make him quit his day job and start a glam rock band.

The dance scene (second link) is like nothing you’ve ever witnessed. It generates the same emotions I’d previously assumed could only be felt upon discovering an ex secretly collects doll heads; a combination of (enduring) love, fear and cat killing curiosity. I never thought I’d see myself type it with such sincerity, but I wish there was a 3D version. There, I crossed over. Hello dark side. Better go and buy Avatar I suppose. Maybe start a discussion about blu-ray and HD with the salesperson. I think I’ll be able to pull it off if I just keep repeating the phrase ‘fresh perspective.’

Anyway, have a watch.



1 comment:

  1. That dance sequence was incredible! I likey yr blog lady.

    ReplyDelete